The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (review)


   It almost feels like it has been a hundred years since they first announced this game. As a die hard Zelda fan I waited and counted down the days, and I felt crushed when I heard it was delayed. Then it was delayed again. There was so much Hype surrounding this game and I began to fear that it wouldn't live up to the hype. It is almost impossible to live up to the hype, but this game did it, and with flying colors.

  The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild brings back many aspects from the first game in the series. Like the first game this game allows the player to go anywhere and do anything in whatever order. This game However made all the dungeons optional and you can go to the final boss as soon as you leave the Great Plateau, which is like the tutorial area. That isn't the only thing this game brings back it also brings back enemies from the first game like the Lynel.

  First I do want to get the bad things this game has out of the way. The game does have frame rate issues, at first it isn't too bad but there were times where the game would completely freeze for a second or two. I am aware that this was fixed with an update but by the time the update was released I was already 100+ hours into the game. There are way too many Korok seeds and about half of them you don't need; so after a while it felt pointless to collect them. Collecting memories felt like it was an after thought which made the game's story feel plain. The fighting in this game was simplified. You can't stab you can't choose to slash vertical or horizontal like in pass Zelda games. Most importantly you can't stab! These flaws are very minor and the good qualities of the game out weigh them.

  I loved the fragile weapon system. It made me use many different weapons and it gave the game a survival aspect. If this game came out when I was a child I would have spent hours just trying to collect my favorite weapon so my inventory would be full of them. A problem I had with Zelda games has always been that I get bored of using the same kind of weapon and this game changed that. Though I do wish you could have a place to store weapons in the game, like a chest in a resting area or something similar to that. I do know that they sort of do this but it only lets you store 3 melee weapons, 3 shields, and 3 bows.

  The story may be a bit plain but the game's world does make up for it. The NPCs have so much character to them and are well programmed. Most NPCs move around freely and have there own personalty. Sometimes by following one around and talking to them you learn a bit about them and the area. This game has many side quests the tie to the characters in the game and in a way it tells you the story of Hyrule. Playing this game really makes you feel like you are just a part of this world just like everyone else, which makes the adventure all the more personal.

  The game has a lot of replay-ability, because it is so free. Say on your first play through you go one way and do all the main dungeons first and in another play through you decide not to do that and completely avoid the dungeons.  The weather system is also random so walking through an area is very different every time. There may be times when it is raining and so you decide to just walk around a mountain rather than climb in order to avoid the risk or you can take the risk anyway. There is just so many ways to play this game. The game is so free that even puzzles have different ways of solving them.

  This game made it through the hype and even managed to exceed my expectations. I can easily see why so many people would give this game a 10/10 but a 10/10 would mean this game is perfect. This game is not perfect but it sure is very damn close. I say every gamer should play this game it is something I feel that anyone who likes to play games should play. I give this game a 9.5/10.

Comments