Voodoo Vince - Nostalgic Review

This isn't a review about the remastered edition Microsoft has polished up. This is the original OG Xbox we're talking about here today. I picked up a copy off of amazon to add to my list of games of Xbox titles I use to own when I was a young-an and then some. Its a small collection at the moment, turns out I had great taste as an adolescent, because anytime I have even the slightest of funds to spend I only seem to pick up one or two from my nostalgia check-list. So how does this game hold up? lets find out.
I rented this game from Blockbuster, and since I remember not defeating the final boss of this game. I can only imagine having a short time rental,  because the imprint this game has left on my brain speaks to its credibility. The game is incredibly different from the vast pot of mascot platformers that were just pumped out constantly back in the days, the refreshing setting of Louisiana and Voodoo was simply refreshing. Although the platforming can be really off making some jumps hard, the game is still a hysterical riot that shouldn't discourage anyone from playing.
The game isn't as awesome as I remember, but still journey I enjoyed going through again. The entire atmosphere is this quirky, dark-humor that many people such as I who grew up enjoying such things will really get a kick out of this, or rather did. Honestly, this feels like the most non Double-fine studio game I have ever played, and the fact that this video game actually did get a remaster shows me that despite a lack of internet back-in-the-days this game has been embedded into the minds of many. Even though this game has some dumb designs, the overall experience is fantastic.
The way Voodoo Vince approaches gameplay is to say the least interesting; you got your standard fighting spins-and-kicks, but also these self-mutilating specials which are the highlight of this one and done title. Look, I had a blast re-playing this game although not everything about it was great I still had outstanding pleasant experience from this blast from the past. 🎮✅

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐☆☆

Tips & Tricks: 

  • Turn those brightness setting up
  • Stock up on blue health jars to extend life
  • Patience is key in many sections

Comments