Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (review)

Opening
  I have actually had this game in my library for awhile now. The reason for my delay on this game is quite an elaborate one, one I hope you'll can bare with me, as what I'm about to divulge can be easily conceived as nothing but ludicrous. However, if you take an open-mind I'm sure my journey can be seen a quite noble in the eyes of a gamer.
  To begin by pointing out the obvious; this is a crossover title between Capcom and Level-5, two companies that have collaborated prior to the release of this game. I had heard nothing but good things from both of these franchises, but never really gave either series a chance. With my sequel rule being a point-of-contention, I then sought to make my most elaborate purchases yet.
Professor Layton
  I initially started with the incredible puzzle-solving series on the 3DS, a significant handheld I stuck to solely for this adventure. I never got a chance to review this game, but in the briefest of synopsis all I can say about the first Layton mystery on the 3DS [as well as my first Layton game], I enjoyed it. I'm always wary of puzzle games, but the narrative and coins helped push me a lot throughout my play-through. I didn't think to much of the Professor before the crossover, but after having him partner up with the most theoretical lawyer in video games, I came to the conclusion that I don't like Professor Layton... I want to be his pupil. I envy his student Luke.
Ace Attorney
  I was a bit disappointed that the U.S. never got a retail outing for Phoenix Wright's first 3DS release, nevertheless, I purchased it digitally. The game for the most part was fine, but was a bit underwhelming, at first I thought it was because of its goofy/series narrative, but I have now come to understand my non-admiration of these kinds of games is a required taste; at least for me anyway. However, the inclusion of his series with the Professor Layton series, had conglomerated in a such a swift way that captivated this reviewer. Although I am still working on the DLC, it was now time to get into the crossover.
Crossover
  The game drags a little near the end, but the ride to the finish line has never felt so grand. The game revolves around the theme of magic, with the perception being that both series are both out of there element dealing with a fictional world. I had no issue if the concept of magic was introduced to both worlds, as from my understanding the Ace Attorney franchise recently took a dive in the spiritual realm (and I had assumed perhaps the Layton series had also done a change-up similarly), but apparently that wasn't the case making the twist at the end self-inflicted. Nevertheless, although I'm not too much into the theme of fantasy I have been known to dabble. The simplicity of the puzzles were just the right of amount difficulty to make a flowing story, besides being too easy at times, never did it hamper my progression, an issue many games struggle with. I allowed myself to get invested into this world, permitting many of the baffling situations to play off until resolves near the end.
Final Thoughts
  Even though I waited two games for this epic crossover, I can honestly say one can simply play this crossover with no prior experience with the either series. This game could have easily have prompted me to have played the games either way, or just the one title by itself was absolutely splendid. So it be amiss for me if I didn't mention what was next for me on this journey. To be quite honest, I don't see myself getting any more games in either franchise. I took a bite into both these worlds resulting in an amazing crossover, but with the knowledge of knowing these are ever growing titles, I can at least feel comfortable saying I tried out both franchises a have some input into the games.

Query
  Am I wrong in my future endeavors, not allowing myself to continue adventuring into these franchises? Or was my elaborate walk-though conventional enough to conjure an enjoyable experience? Now if you'll excuse me there are leftover puzzles to complete.

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐☆

Tips & Tricks: 

  • Conserve the 3D for the cut-scenes
  • Remember to save regularly
  • Use the Hint Coins as often as possible


Comments